Welcome to the Discussion Room page! The Discussion Room is confirmed to take place on the Saturday, during the regular programming. You can find the discussion topics below, with the allocated time slots. These are the broad topics, details still need to be worked out - and your input for that is helpful.
The idea is to increase the number of open, facilitated discussions during Wikimania that are actually about the content projects. The participation of the audience is critical, and therefore your input on what topics would be good, as well! Please share your thoughts below.
- Submission no. 8500
- Title of the submission
- Discussion Room
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Open Discussion (no panel)
- Author of the submission
- Lodewijk Gelauff & Iolanda Pensa
- E-mail address
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- This is not a regular submission, but perhaps more of an umbrella request. I would like to propose to reserve one room (and design that room accordingly) for the single purpose of organized public discussions around the WikiCulture and Community topic.
- With two discussion leaders, we would facilitate the community in having real life discussions on topics that are relevant to the Wikimedia Communities - editorial and otherwise. The format will be similar for each discussion (details to be worked out - suggestions welcome), so that there is some continuity. Each discussion will:
- take 30-40 minutes (depending on the interest, complexity etc)
- have a discussion leader but no expert panel (experts are invited to participate)
- be introduced with a 2-4 minute introduction of an expert
- be documented live by a dedicated minute taker
- not be limited to the English Wikipedia
- have clearly defined goals
- Ideally, we would set the list of topics in its final shape one month before the conference after community consultation. That way we can ensure that the topics are currently relevant to the community and that there is a maximum impact. The focus will be on topics where real life discussion add value over on-wiki discussion. Also, previous conferences suggest that there is a high interest for such discussions, but that it is typically hard to find people to be interested, willing to propose it months in advance and lead the discussion all at the same time.
- Some example topics (just made these up from the top of my head - feel free to suggest more!):
- Welcoming new users to Wikimedia projects - best practices from around the world
- Dream on: what kind of publicly curated content would you like to see released for use on Wikimedia projects?
- Paid editing (probably can be split up in multiple discussions even)
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 1 full day, many sessions!
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- A full day on the schedule
- A room with chairs set in a U-shape (no tables) or something similar
- A dedicated note taker
- Some help in getting the attention of the conference attendees for a helpful consultation
- I'm still looking for a co-discussion leader
All sessions are on Saturday (day 2).
- Session 1a, 09.30 - 10.10: "What do new users need to be successful?"
- Session 1b, 10.15 - 11.00: "Welcoming and retaining new users."
- Session 2a, 11.30 - 12.10: "Wikimedia Commons - Needs and wishes for the perfect Wikimedia media database."
- Session 2b, 12.15 - 13.00: "Will we still need categories in times of Wikidata?"
- Session 3a, 14.30 - 15.10: "What topics are relevant/notable?"
- Session 3b, 15:15 - 16.00: "Exchange of deletion/review processes and best practices."
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~). You can also join a specific discussion session through the links above in the program.
- Mike Peel (talk) 12:31, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
- --iopensa (talk) 20:38, 26 March 2014 (UTC). Really great idea.
- Erik Zachte (talk) 16:11, 27 March 2014 (UTC)
- EpochFail (talk) 14:43, 28 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jodi.a.schneider (talk) 20:09, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- --Nicole Ebber (WMDE) (talk) 20:51, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 17:49, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 00:14, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Elya (talk) 11:03, 17 June 2014 (UTC)
- Austin (talk) 11:26, 17 June 2014 (UTC)
- --Stepro (talk) 09:16, 7 July 2014 (UTC)
- Julle (talk) 16:07, 8 July 2014 (UTC)
- MB-one (talk) 11:48, 9 July 2014 (UTC)
- Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 17:54, 15 July 2014 (UTC)
- --Aubrey (talk) 18:43, 15 July 2014 (UTC)
- --AleXXw (talk) 19:10, 15 July 2014 (UTC)
- Rdicerb (WMF) (talk) 16:48, 21 July 2014 (UTC)
- Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talk) 08:55, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- Sj (talk) 22:10, 2 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.
All notes are transferred here: Submissions/Discussion_Room/Notes