Submissions/Ask the Wiki Education Foundation
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 3004
- Title of the submission
Ask the Wiki Education Foundation
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Frank Schulenburg, LiAnna Davis, and Jami Mathewson
- E-mail address
frankwikiedfoundation.org, liannawikiedfoundation.org, jamiwikiedfoundation.org
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wiki Education Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wiki Education Foundation is a new nonprofit organization that spun off from the Wikimedia Foundation in 2013. This panel presentation will feature three Wiki Education Foundation staff members: Executive Director Frank Schulenburg, Head of Communications and External Relations LiAnna Davis, and Program Manager Jami Mathewson. This session will be the first time our organization has participated in Wikimania, and we want to share more information about who we are and what we do and answer your questions about the Wiki Education Foundation.
In the first half of this session, we’ll provide an in-depth look into who we are, what our goals are, and how you can expect to see us work on Wikipedia in 2014 and beyond. We’ll talk through the basics of the classroom program we run on the English Wikipedia (the Wikipedia Education Program in the United States and Canada) and outline our plans for additional programs to engage with student editors on university campuses in the U.S. and Canada. We’ll explain what support resources we currently have available for instructors and what our plans are to develop additional support resources. We’ll talk about what each of our roles are, what we hope to accomplish in the coming year, and how you can get involved in the work we’re doing to get Wikipedia editing into college campuses nationwide.
In the second half of the session, we’re turning the floor over to attendees. What burning questions do you have about the Wiki Education Foundation? Are you confused about how something in the Wikipedia Education Program works? Are you confused about the difference between the Wikimedia Foundation and the Wiki Education Foundation? Wondering how the Wiki Education Foundation interacts with other global programs? Do you want to get involved in our work but you aren’t sure how? This is your chance to ask any questions and have the team available to answer them.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If this can be the first of any submissions accepted from the Wiki Education Foundation, it can give context to attendees for the other ones, as well.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- MartinPoulter (talk) 15:58, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- --Samir I. Sharbaty (talk) 19:47, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Martin Kraus (talk) 21:37, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Sjgknight (talk) 08:47, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Geraldshields11 (talk) 19:22, 17 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Another Believer (talk) 18:07, 6 May 2014 (UTC)
- Ziko (talk) 22:15, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
- Sabbon (talk) 20:59, 26 July 2014 (UTC)
- Promelior (talk) 14:06, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- Saraanine (talk) 07:54, 7 August 2014 (UTC)
- لا روسا (talk) 14:10, 8 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.